Friday, October 4, 2013

Five Things Friday

Happy friday my friends! :) It seems like this week just flew by. It's been a very transitional week for us, weather wise. The leaves changing colors peaked around wednesday. And let me tell you, the Rocky Mountains are incredibly beautiful this time of year. This morning we woke up and there was snow on the ground. In fact, it's snowing outside right now. I'm not going to complain, because I love this time of year. Pretty soon I'm going to start a fire in the fireplace. As for beauty products this week, I had the opportunity to try quite a few new things. A few that I love and a few that are just okay. I've scoured the cupboards and my makeup bag to put together this weeks list. I hope you find your next favorite thing.

1. Bioderma Sensibio H2O Micelle Solution
I first heard about Bioderma's Micelle Solutions from Lisa Eldgridge. She's been using Bioderma's cleansing water for years and swears by them. What finally sold me was Bioderma's gentle formula. My sensitive skin needs all of the pampering it can get. Let me tell you, this stuff gets my makeup off like nothing else. It doesn't sting my eyes, it doesn't irritate my skin. In fact, it cleans my face even better than my usual face wash. I've started using this in the morning as my only face cleanser. And I can see an improvement in the red coloration on my cheeks already. I would definitely recommend this product to anybody.

2. The Masters Brush Cleaner
I first heard of this brush cleaner from ShadesofKassie on Youtube. She was an artist in her younger years and her experience led her to try this cleaner on her makeup brushes. She swore it was the best cleaner that she's ever used. And I have to say that my brushes are as clean as new ones, and the bristles are soft. I haven't noticed any ill effects on the brushes, or on my face, that would make me think this product wasn't okay to use. It's non-toxic, so that's great. And I love the smell. It reminds me of something, but I can't put my finger on it. It's a clean smell. I would recommend this product as well.

3. Duo Lash Adhesive
First I tried using ELF's eyelash glue. It lasted 10 minutes. Then I tried the KISS eyelash glue and it lasted a half an hour. I was feeling frustrated and desperate. Every Youtube beauty guru I watched was using Duo eyelash adhesive, so I thought I'd give false lashes one last try. And it worked! Admittedly, the glue smells like dead fish. It's a gross smell. But it keeps the lashes on and the smell goes away once the glue dries. This adhesive keeps my lashes on for hours. Which is awesome! I would recommend it to anyone to use.

4. L'Oreal Magic De-Crease Eyelid Primer
I was reluctant to try this eyelid primer because it had gotten such mixed reviews on Amazon.com. But I couldn't afford $20 for Benefit's eye primer and needed something better than my Nyx Eyeshadow Base.  I have been nothing but pleased with this stuff. I like the nude shade, it balances my skin tone before my shadow goes on. My shadows are showing up true to color, blending is easy and the best part? My looks last all day. Seriously, yesterday I was in makeup for over 16 hours. By bedtime my eyes weren't as sharp as they were in the morning, but the color hadn't moved and they still looked nice. A nice smooth surface. Win!

5. Davines This is a Sea Salt Spray

I received a sample of this sea salt spray last month in my Birchbox box. It was my first experience with sea salt spray and I was less than enamoured of it. The first time I used it, I sprayed it on dry hair and it made my hair feel crunchy and straw-like. But I was determined to try it in every way possible before deciding whether I love it or hate it. The next time I sprayed it into wet hair and went to bed. The next day my hair held a curl for hours and had so much more volume! Now, every time need to have big sexy hair for an event, I reach for this stuff. It gives my hair a shine and gives my flat hair the volume it desperately needs. I would definitely recommend it.

BONUS BEAUTY TIP:  I watched a Youtube video by Wayne Goss recently on how to apply eyeshadow like a pro. And I took away one tip that I've been trying and have to say -- it's a revelation! This is going to sound so common sensical, but I wasn't doing it before. Use your brush to apply your eye color where you want it. Be it on the lid or the crease, etc. Then take a CLEAN blending brush to do any blending. I face palmed when he said this. As Wayne put it, "Using a dirty brush, or the brush you used to apply the color will just muddy the waters." So damned smart. I've been doing this and my eyes have never looked better. Seriously? Do yourself a favor and just try it. You'll never go back!

Have any friday favorites of your own, or recommendations for products to try? I'd love to hear them. Post in the comments below and share your wares. ;)

Thank you for your time, and stay beautiful friends! xoxox

No comments:

Post a Comment