Thursday, October 10, 2013

Facial Skin Transitioning From Dry to Normal/Oily


As you probably already know, I have struggled with dry, sensitive skin and rosacea for years. Ever since my twin boys (who are five now) were born, my skin has struggled to retain any moisture. As a result I've been experiencing signs of early aging and irritation on the skin on my face. In fact, my nickname for the rosacea on my cheeks has been my "angry skin".

For the past four months I've been on an intense search to hone and specialize my skin care routine to suit and treat the unique array of problems I have with my skin.

For the past month, I've felt like I have really dialed into a routine that works for me. Including products like pure avocado oil as a night cream, an AHA gel under my moisturizer at night and a solid daily anti-aging serum and moisturizer.

My skin has been steadily improving for weeks and it's felt calm and happy during all of that time. Then over the past week or so I've noticed something strange - my skin has swung the pendulum to the other side of the spectrum and is feeling oily.

My cheeks, which were always the driest angry part of my skin have "normalized" and there are no more dry flakey patches. My rosacea has calmed to subtle rose patches on the apples of my cheeks. And my T-zone has grown oily. I'm not breaking out, thank God. But there's quite a bit more sebum on those parts of my face than there has been before. I'll reiterate - I haven't changed my routine in a month or so. This is just sort of happening out of the blue for me.

So I thought I'd do some research on transitioning skin and decide if I need to worry or not.

Apparently skin can change all of the time. Research says it can be due to hormones, my age, the products I'm using, and even environmental factors.

Just my luck. After working so hard to perfect a skin regimen, my skin suddenly goes and changes on me!

I wondered if the change has something to do with the new season and our colder, drier weather. But research tells us that in the fall and winter skin needs more TLC because the transition from humid to cold weather can be extremely drying. Drying. Not oily-inducing. So…

I'm going to assume that my skin-care regimen is actually benefiting my skin. I have managed to repair my skin's acid mantle and it is better able to retain its hydration. Yay! So now I'm left with a vanity full of products for dry skin. Does that mean I'll have to relearn everything (and repurchase different beauty products) with an eye toward normal/oily skin? At least with oily skin I can relax knowing signs of aging will be delayed.

So, with contented resignation at my skins new designations …some simple rules of thumb for working with combo skin:

- Use liquid/cream makeup for dry skin and powder for oily skin.

- Apply moisturizer sparingly to your oily areas (try half the normal amount, apply while skin is damp/almost dry to help spread the moisturizer), then dust some sheer/translucent finishing powder (most of them are mattifying) to just those areas.

- Dry zones, which are usually located on the cheeks and around the eyes, should be treated with rich creams and moisturizers.

- Oily areas, usually on the forehead and nose, will benefit from frequent and thorough cleaning.

I'll look at this new occurrence with my skin as a good sign, and try not to freak out. It's just another chapter in my journey. And look! Through my research and skin regime I have learned enough to be able to heal some long-term skin damage. I'll keep this post and subsequent posts updated as my skin (I'm sure) continues to change. Hopefully for the better.

If your own skin is keeping you guessing, don't allow yourself to stay stuck in a skin-care rut. There are so many products on the market and so much information available that you can easily embark on your own journey to nurture, heal and enhance your own beautiful skin.

Thank you for your time, and stay beautiful! xoxox

No comments:

Post a Comment