Friday, November 1, 2013

Five Things Friday 11-1-13

Happy Friday and welcome to November, friends! Is anyone else in a sugar-hangover haze today? Oh yeah, this is all me...
So it's the end of the week and that time again. Are you ready for my five favorite things from this past week? Here goes:

1. Jack Black's Epic Moisture MP10 Nourishing Oil

I wasn't sure about this oil when I first heard about it. After all, it's marketed toward both men and women and claims to do a myriad of things. However, I use beauty oils for both my face and body and loved the ingredients list for this product. It includes argan oil, moringa seed oil, marula seed oil, watermelon seed oil, plum seed oil, baobab seed oil, olive fruit oil, grape seed oil, jojoba oil and rice bran oil. Quite the line up. I used this oil as a moisturizing mask on my hair. A few hours before my shower I would put it on the tips of my hair from my ears downward. I comb it through and leave it alone. The smell is clean and gentle. And after I wash my hair and it dries (using just an average shampoo and conditioner)? Whoa momma, my hair is incredible! Soft, strong and not oily at all. I highly recommend this stuff for your hair. It claims there are multiple uses, and I can't speak to those. But this stuff is worth a look.

2. Sephora Desert Sunset Eyeshadow and Blush Palette

This palette was on sale on Sephora's website a few weeks ago. I love the colors and haven't tried any other Sephora shadows before, so I thought I'd give it a try. I'll start by saying this is not a stand alone palette. Only the white and black shadows are matte. And I only put shimmery shades on my lids, and blend with mattes. I use my Lorac Pro Palette for neutral blending shades. But these shadows are soft, creamy and highly pigmented. They blend well with each other, by themselves, and with other shadows. I've used this palette for every look I've worn this week, and the options for new looks seems endless. I'll skip the blush and bronzer, however, as the shimmer is more like glitter. And that's not my thing.

3. NYX Butter Gloss in Creme Brulee

My favorite look right now, as far as makeup goes, is a smokey and colorful eye with a bright nude lip. This shade by NYX is extremely pigmented, super hydrating and long lasting. Creme Brulee makes my lips look bright and healthy, like I were 16 years old again. It's a cool pink, the picture shows you everything. Love this stuff, I have multiple shades of the NYX Butter Gloss and love them all.

4. Baggy Trick for Nail Polish

I found the tutorial for this trick on Julep's blog. I only used this trick once this week. But it was so revelatory and useful that I had to add it to my list. For my Halloween manicure I have white cobwebs over a black nail on my thumbs. I have orange nails with black pumpkin eyes, nose and mouth on my pointer fingers. I have a black nail with a white ghost with black eyes and mouth on my middle fingers. I have an orange nail, with a green witch face, black witch hat and hair, and black eyes and mouths on my ring fingers. And I have black nails with white pin stripes on my little fingers. I used this baggy trick to get the shapes for the pumpkin faces, the ghost shapes and the witch faces and hats. Without this trick? My manicure would have been impossible. I'll be using this trick in the future from now on.

5. Dr. Jarts Ceramidin Collection

My first experience with Dr. Jart's Ceramidin cream was way back in my first Birchbox. It was the only thing, up to that point, that had made a visible difference to the health and look of my skin. I was hooked, but couldn't afford to buy the full-size product. I found a sale for the starter kit for this stuff on Sephora recently and jumped on it. I'm using the liquid and cream combo, and only on my rosacea on my cheeks. I can't tell you what a difference this stuff makes. It's one of those products I can't wait to use, and I use it both day and night. This combo is hydrating and healing. It's dialed into exactly what my skin needs.


Total Dud: 

This is the first time I've ever put a dud on my Five Things Friday, but I was so disappointed I felt like I should warn others about this stuff. 

Sephora Collection Colorful Blush - Pink Flush 07

This blush was on sale on Sephora's website. The color looked adorable and I trusted the brand name. When it arrived I noticed right away that the blush had huge chunks of glitter in it. It was impossible to tell by looking at the picture. There looks like no to little shimmer in the pictures on the website. But if I wear this blush in real life, it's like channeling my inner Twilight. Which is so not my thing. The blush is not pigmented at all. So there's almost no color on my cheeks, and these huge chunks of glitter everywhere. Just gross. Seriously, don't ever buy this stuff!

Just a head's up to all of you. I'm a novelist by profession. This month is NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) and from November 1st to November 30th I will be pounding out the rough draft for a new book. I will try to keep the blog updated as often as possible. But please forgive me if I'm less active here than usual. I promise, come December, my madness will be back to normal.

Thank you for your time, and stay beautiful my friends! xoxox

No comments:

Post a Comment