Friday, November 8, 2013

Five Things Friday 11-08-13

Hello lovelies. :) I hope you can feel the great big hug I'm sending your way. It's been a great week for my family. Not because there weren't tears or tribulations. But because we've all been gentle, patient and loving to each other. The boys (my twins in kindergarten) are having a better week at school = awesome! The baby is getting over her cold and is as adorable as ever. I've had the pleasure of driving a brand new rental car all week. And can I just say there's something satisfying about climbing into a brand new beautiful car and feeling it purr at my touch. I've made a lot of progress this week with NaNoWriMo. I'm a novelist by profession and this month I've taken it upon myself to bang out the first draft of a paranormal romance I've been working on. It's coming along nicely! But now for the part you're all here to enjoy ...the beauty products. This week's top five of my favorite things.

1. Eve Lom Hot Muslin Cleanser
I was fortunate to receive a sample of this cleanser with my last Sephora purchase. I was introduced to hot muslin cleansers by Liz Earle and her cleanser has quickly become a holy grail for me. And then I tried Eve Lom. Where the Liz Earle cleanser smells strongly of geranium, Eve Lom smells strongly of ginger and black pepper essential oils. It has a very viscuous and lumpy texture. You put it on your face, using circles to rub it in. Then you soak the muslin cloth in hot water and place it on your face for five seconds. Do that two more times, and then use the cloth to wipe the face clean. I was floored by this. I could see the difference in my skin after the first use. The rosacea on my cheeks was almost invisible. My face felt moisturized, clean and young. This cleanser is insanely expensive. It's $80 for 3oz. I can't afford it on a regular basis. But I'm definitely going to ask for a jar of this stuff for Christmas. Highly recommend!

2. Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Lotion Plus 
This is one of those products I've seen hyped up all over Youtube. And because of that I was leery to try it. I was searching Sephora's website for "travel sized" items, and this came up. I believe it was only $10 for an ounce or more bottle. For that price point, I was willing to give it a try. And let me tell you, it's amazing. My skin feels baby soft after I use it. I doesn't make my face feel greasy through the day. And even better, it soaks right into my skin. I feel good using it. It's replaced my Youthcode Moisturizer by L'Oreal as my everyday moisturizer. 

3. Hervana Blush by Benefit
Admit it, we all have moments where we're on a mad hunt for that perfect ...thing. The product we've always dreamed of having. For me lately, that's been a hunt for my perfect blush. So many blushes this time of year are that muted rose color. And darnit, I want to look bright and alive instead of sullen and weather-stricken. So when I saw Hervana by Benefit, it was love at first sight. The color on my cheeks is a natural healthy glow. It's the pink of a flush from a day at the beach. It's not over-bearing and so far I haven't found any makeup looks that it doesn't compliment. Just love this stuff.

4. Makeup Geek Eyeshadow Pans in a Z-Palette
I threw a hail-mary pass recently, and spent a good chunk of change on a z-palette and a number of eyeshadow pans from Makeup Geek. Before I'd ever seen any of their products in person. The reviews online were stellar, Samantha Schuerman gave a positive review of their shadows, so I gave them a try. And I have not been disappointed. The shadows are creamy and soft (they're the same soft texture as Lorac and equally as pigmented), they're pigmented and long lasting. When I can swing it I plan on buying more of their pans. I'm working on building my dream palette. And for the price? Win!

5. Julep Cuticle Oil
There is a makeup bag I keep by my bedside. Every night after I've finished washing up and climbed into bed I reach for this bag. I keep my Julep cuticle oil and a night hand lotion in there (among other things). If I don't keep my hands moisturized, my cuticles crack. It's insanely painful, not to mention annoying. I put the cuticle oil all around my nails, rub it in and top it off with a hand lotion. My manicures last longer, my cuticles don't split and it's that perfect pampered finishing touch for the day. Love this stuff!

Bonus - Samantha Schuerman
I have lost count of the number of beauty gurus I follow on Youtube and the internet. Most of them I wax and wane in the intensity of my interest. But not Samantha Schuerman. She's the real deal, a genuine good soul. She does incredible makeup looks and tutorials. She posts vlogs about her adorable family. She gives good reviews on beauty products (and mommy or household products on her vlog channel). I can't say enough good things about her. I will watch any video she posts, which says something. Check out her blog at samschuerman.com or find her Youtube channel.


Well, that's it for me lovelies. I hope you enjoyed and found some fun new things to lift up your beauty routine. I'd love to hear some of your favorite things of the week. Share your wares in the comments below. Thank you for your time, and stay beYOUtiful, friends!

- Becky xoxox

No comments:

Post a Comment