Friday, December 27, 2013

Five Things Friday 12-27-13

Merry Christmas everyone! I'm so sorry this post is going up late. We're far from home and the holidays are crazy with three kiddos, so I'm a little slow. Having said that, I've got my five favorite things about Christmas and also my five favorite beauty things from this week. Let's begin...

Five Favorite Things About Christmas:
1. Family Time

It is a rare occasion in our family where we all still get together. Funerals, weddings, and ...Christmas. Not only do we get to see old faces and catch up on what's new, those of us with kids finally get a temporary reprieve from constant kid-watching because of the extra sets of eyes around. It tickles me heart knowing we're laying down new memories for the kiddos and starting new traditions in the process.

2. Christmas Cookies

I have a wicked sweet tooth. Baked sweet goods are especially delicious. Christmas is the perfect excuse to bake every cookie recipe known to man, and the best part? Then we get to eat them.

3. Amazing Food

The same idea as the cookies... Christmas gives us the best excuse to buy and serve the best cuts of meat and to prepare the family recipes passed down for generations that our new culturally-dictated low-carb, low-sugar, low-fat, blah blah blah ad nauseum diets dictate we avoid.

4. White Christmas

Some people associate Christmas with football games, old war movies or Lawrence Welk. Me? Christmas isn't finished until I've watched Irving Berlin's "White Christmas". Bing Crosby has got to have the best voice in the history of men.

5. Ugly Christmas Sweaters

One person's ugly sweater is another's festive cheer. I love those knitted vests and sweaters ariot with color and depicting Christmas scenes. Try wearing one any other day than Christmas and they'd have me committed. But Christmas? Break out the poppers and cliche wardrobe.

Five Favorite Beauty Things:
1. Boots No7 Hot Cloth Cleanser

This isn't like Eve Lom or Liz Earle. There's no essential oil scent and the cleanser is more foamy than the others. But there is something deliciously creamy and soothing about this hot cloth cleanser. It's advertised as a facial every night. And they aren't wrong. I feel my pores being cleansed. And even though the cleanser is foamy, it doesn't dry out my skin. I can only describe the experience as luxurious. The muslin cloth that comes with the cleanser is larger than the others that I've used and does a good job. I call it a muslin cloth, but it's more like cheese cloth. I'm not sure how else to describe it. 

2. Boots No7 Hydrating Mask

Tis the season for dry skin and flaky lips. Ugh. I've been looking for a hydrating mask, something other than a DIY honey mask. My local Target has started carrying the No7 product line and this mask looked amazing. Merry Christmas, me! I put it on and left it on for the full 10 minutes, although they say only 3 will do. The first day of our trip, my skin was feeling crispy. A slathering of this stuff and it's been hydrated heaven ever since.

3. Nyx Mega Shine Lip Gloss - Sugar Pie

EmilyNoel on Youtube mentioned these mega shine lip glosses in her 'Favorite Products from NYX' recently. I've loved (alright, obsessed over!) my lip butters this winter. So why not try the mega shine? I'll admit, at first I was hesitant. This stuff looks like a frost-fest. And I'm too old, and too over the 90s to want to sport frosty lips these days. I was pleased to see that on the lips this mega shine gloss isn't frosty, but instead gives my lips a healthy, nourished look. I love the Sugar Pie color in particular, it's a gorgeous shiny nude color.

4. Banjees Wrist Wallet

What is it? It's a spandex wristband you wear on your wrist. It's big enough to hold a cell phone, money, my mega shine lip gloss and even my Canon Elph 330 camera. Why do I love it so much? It's spandex, so it breathes and doesn't make my arm sweaty. I'm wearing a lot of leggings and doing a lot of walking lately = no pockets. I can wear this on my wrist and carry with me a house key, an ipod, a phone and always a lip gloss. It's my newest favorite thing.

5. Maybelline's Rocket Mascara

Melissa Raymond on Youtube has declared this her favorite mascara repeatedly. I was in the market for a new mascara and thought I'd give it a try. This stuff lengthens, it volumizes, it's opaque and pigmented and I truly love it. Thanks Melissa!

That's it for this week. I hope you've been blessed with peace, joy and many smiles this Christmas.

Thank you for your time, and stay beYOUtiful!

- Becky xoxox

No comments:

Post a Comment