Wednesday, December 11, 2013

A Quick Winter Moisturizing Routine Update


Now that the mercury has dipped into the winter colds, I'm sure you're all dealing with the same problem that I am - dry skin. It seems like no matter how much or how often I moisturize, my skin struggles to maintain that vibrant healthy look. So what's a girl to do?

My first thought was to buy more moisturizers. Typical, right? Throw money at it and hope for the best. I have yet to find any one moisturizer that is strong enough to hydrate my skin all day (and night) without breaking me out.

So my new, and better, solution?

I'm doubling up on lotions, both day and night. Entirely different lotions for the different times of day. I'm finding this technique is working to happily hydrate my skin and I've yet to see any breakouts or dry-skin wrinkles trying this.

During the Day:

I start with a layer of Clinique's Dramatically Different Moisturizing Lotion Plus. This is water based, not a silicone or oil based moisturizer. So I put this one on first and it hydrates immediately and sinks right into my skin.





Then I follow up with L'Oreal's Youth Code Day/Night Cream. On it's own, using it this past fall, this lotion was leaving me feel greasy and my skin was breaking out. Now that it's winter, and now that I've paired it with the Clinique, it leaves my skin feeling soft and hydrated and doesn't agitate it.



During the Night:

I start with Eucerine's Redness Relief Soothing Night Creme. I love this stuff. It's calming on my skin and it minimizes the redness of the rosacea on my cheeks.


I follow up with a thin layer of Avocado Oil. I warm it in my hands and then pat it into my skin, being careful to avoid my eyes. A little goes a long way, but the benefits of using it are endless. You can find my blog post from this past summer about the benefits of natural oils on your skin if you want more info.



During Both Day and Night:

I gently pat in a pea-sized (total amount, for both eyes) dollup of Racinne's Youth Power Eye Serum to intensely hydrate the eye area, both under-eye and lid.



Then I follow up with Olay's Total Effects 7-in-1 Anti-Ageing Eye Cream to maintain a hydrating and anti-aging barrier on that thinner and more vulnerable layer of skin.



Obviously lips are a different beast and need a constant layer of hydrating and protecting balm. I'm working on a post for healing/protecting and moisturizing lips in the near future. Check back later for more info on that.

As for the rest of the face - so far so good. I'm so happy I found a combination of moisturizers that works for me. If you're struggling with your own moisturizer not being able to meet the hydrating needs of your newly-dried-out-skin give this technique a try. You may get the benefits of each lotion and keep your skin looking healthy and vibrant while doing so.

Thank you for your time, and stay beYOUtiful!

- Becky xoxox

No comments:

Post a Comment